While there are professionals and experts who educate the common public in matters concerning sanitation and drinking water, there are many steps that can be taken by the common man to ensure that the environment is clean and habitable. It does not make sense to call in an expert for everything. The groundwork needs to be executed by the people living in the concerned locality.
- Ensure collection of drinking water from a safe and protected source
- Open sources such as rivers and lakes must be done with extra care. Water must be boiled and purified before consumption
- Preference must be given to hand pumps as it is considered to be one of the safest sources for drinking water.
- After the water has been collected, it must be stored in a safe and clean container. While collecting water, it should not be touched by the hands or dirty utensils.
- Ensure to cover any container that stores water for consumption.
- Chlorination of water is also a good method of purifying the water. After boiling, this is the second most popular mode of purifying water.
- It is prudent to use clean water for sanitation purposes as well. Cleansing the body and bathing must be done in a water body that is not used to collect drinking water.
- Water bodies are not to be used for dumping waste material. Care should also be taken while digging holes for toxic waste. There is every possibility of the dirt leaking and affecting the water table under the ground.
- Disposal of human excreta should be done in a separate location. While it can be used as manure for the plants, they must not be washed into the water bodies.
Good water sanitation practices can go a long way to save lives.